We’d like to Thank Ellen Picton for this recipe. If you’d like to try more of Ellen’s creations, check out her cook book.
The sweetness of the red onion works so well with the acidity of the feta cheese and puts a posh spin on a weekly favourite.
Onions are known to be anti fungal which means they are perfect ammunition for attacking candida. Thyme is thought to be great at helping to fight infections, along with being rich in vitamin C.
Makes 8 pieces
Equipment needed – A large deep, non stick, oven proof, frying pan.
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 medium red onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 sprigs of thyme leaves, stalks removed
12 eggs, whisked
200g feta cheese, cubed
Preheat an oven to 170Deg C
1. Heat the olive oil in a large non stick frying pan.
2. Add the finely chopped red onion to the pan and stir with a large wooden spoon making sure you coat the onions in the oil.
3. Turn down the heat and leave to sauté for around ten minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure you move the onions from the bottom of the pan to the top so they cook evenly.
4. Add the thyme and balsamic vinegar to the pan and stir though, turn up the heat for a few minutes until any excess liquid has left the pan.
5. Pour the whisked egg over the onions. Then sprinkle the cubed feta over the eggs.
6. Transfer the frying pan to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until firm and the cheese is nicely browned.
7. Leave to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Serve with a fresh green salad.
Cooks note – Make up a large frittata each week and keep slices in the fridge for up to 3 days. Perfect for a light lunch.